Marie, the new team member

marie"Poor old Grace", my current "main" computer, has been really struggling to keep up, gets forgetful (runs out of memory), or just plain gets stuck: current software needs ever more resources which she doesn't have. She served me well for almost 8 years now, and deserves retirement. Enter Marie, the new team member: she is being "educated" now. …

Continue reading “Marie, the new team member”…

Ada Lovelace Day

I am in the habit of naming my computers after people I admire in technology and science (including but not limited to computer science). My first and oldest PC — still sitting in another room though I haven't turned it on in ages — is called Archimedes. My first company laptop was named Ada (sadly, I had to leave her behind). … So, I simply had to sign the pledge for Ada Lovelace Day! And you can join, too…

Continue reading “Ada Lovelace Day”…

No ScribeFire for now… oh, wait!

In Upgrading fun (well…) I mentioned how glad I was having found ScribeFire and getting it to work not only with MyOpera but also with this blog (via the Metaweblog API). Earlier this week, while going through my present and possible new extensions for Firefox, upgrading and adding things, I also upgraded ScribeFire from version 3.1.5 to 3.1.6 — and suddenly ScribeFire started complaining about a "malformed response" from this blog (while happily retrieving all posts from my MyOpera blog)…

Continue reading “No ScribeFire for now… oh, wait!”…

Upgrading fun (well…)

comparing adminhandler versions side-by-sideWhen I selected Habari as a blogging platform, I knew I was in for an occasional rocky ride, with the software at version 0.5 and under very active development. Today I had planned to continue working on building my first plugin but instead my day turned out pretty rocky as once again I had to upgrade to the latest revision to get rid of a problem while a DDoS attack got in the way as well. But instead of growing my own plugin I learned a thing or two, so it still ended up being a good (though not very productive) day.

Continue reading “Upgrading fun (well…)”…

I broke in again (sorry)

When I wrote up my (initial) tweaks to the Summary plugin, Rick Cockrum helpfully pointed out in his comment how it would be possible to avoid changing the core code. I fully agree that should be avoided whenever possible (and had hoped it would be possible), so I set out to make the proposed change and managed to make it work after a small modification. But now I've done it again…

Continue reading “I broke in again (sorry)”…